Meet our Greeters, Lap dogs, & Comforters. Must Love Office Dogs!
- Our 9 pound hypoallergenic rescue dog is part Maltese and part Mini Greyhound. She LOVES, Loves, loves humans, kids and adults.
- Our 15 pound Terrier-X rescue dog, LOVES, Loves, loves humans, kids and adults too.
- Trauma Response Services Certified
- Marriage Strong: Building Marriages for Life & Leadership
- Engaging Men & Boys in the Prevention of Domestic & Sexual Violence
- Healing from the Effects of Interpersonal Trauma: An Integrative Play Therapy- Family Therapy Approach
- Psychological First Aide by the National Child Traumatic Stress Network
- National Incident Management System: Emergency Management Institute (FEMA)
- Incident Command System:Emergency Management Institute (FEMA)
- Trauma-Focused Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (TF CBT)
- Ethical Decision-Making
- Law, Ethics and Standards of Care in Behavioral Health
- Best Practices: Behavior Support and Intervention
- ADHD: Diagnosis and Treatment
- Advanced Co-Occurring Disorders
- Bipolar and Related Disorders
- Motivational Interviewing
- Moral Reconciliation Therapy
- Positive Parenting Program (Triple P)
- Seeking Safety
- Coaching Parents of Challenging Teens in Addiction Treatment
- PCIT Partnership
- DBT w/Chain Analysis
- Internet Victimization Treatment
- CPR/First Aid
- EAGALA (equine assisted psychotherapy)
- Human Trafficking
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
They are not fond of other animals arriving unannounced in their space (the office building). For safety reasons, please DO NOT ARRIVE WITH ANY ANIMAL in tow.
(If you utilize a certified disability service dog, please be sure to schedule an appointment (for humans only) with our owner to discuss safe entrance and exits prior to your sessions. This way we can accommodate your needs, SAFELY).
Thank you for taking the first step in reaching out. You are on the right path!
I am passionate about working with all types of individuals from many age groups.
I specialize in Teenagers, and I’m also specializing in Trauma Informed Care and treatment for those 11 years of age and up to 100+.
My counseling trauma work with clients is based on safety and respect to create an environment that promotes growth and wellness for clients of all ages including teens. I offer an open and supportive space located in Lakewood Washington, where we will move toward wholeness and healing, together.
We all get stuck and deserve to have someone walk beside us in our struggles. This can be a time for self-discovery, where we will work together to build upon your strengths. I believe it is an honor to be a part of your change process and journey.
My style of therapy is warm, accepting, and compassionate. I seek to hold a space where you can mindfully contemplate new ways of viewing, processing, and coping with emotions and change. It can be liberating, healing, and life altering to explore emotional connections and patterns, discovering alternative ways of thinking. I use a collaborative approach, in which you or your loved one can develop a deeper acceptance for who are you/they and gain freedom from painful experiences.
I specialize in helping address a variety of concerns in therapy, such as the effects of trauma, relationship distress, grief and loss, family conflict, depression, anxiety, life transition, and more. I aim to help you experience a greater sense of closeness, connection, and hope for your future though this counseling process. As people, we have a biological need to feel safe, secure, and connected in our relationships. I believe the therapeutic relationship between you and I, opens the door for positive change to take place. If you are looking for a therapist or counselor near Tacoma who brings a warm empathetic presence and the desire to provide a safe place for you to explore your feelings, I am likely to be a good fit for you.
My Psychotherapy Modalities include: Family Systems, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TFCBT), Attachment Theory, and more. Please call Lakewood Child and Family Counseling (in Lakewood WA – of course!) to learn more about me and my services at 253-617-3559 or click below and we will contact you back as soon as possible.
Welcome! and Thank You again for taking the first step and reaching out. We’re here for you!
Bachelor of Science, Psychology, Portland State University, Portland, Oregon
I am grateful to serve individuals and families taking courageous steps toward achieving wellness. I am a Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC) in Lakewood & Tacoma WA. If you are seeking a male therapist in Lakewood WA, I may be the perfect fit for you.
My job is to be a helpful guide, adviser, therapist, or coach. If you’re here, it means you want to improve yourself and I will do the best I can to help with that.
I have a Master’s degree in Clinical Psychology from Seattle University and more than 10 years of experiences working with families in a therapeutic setting. I am experienced in providing individual and group counseling for all ages, genders, and backgrounds. I have nearly a decade of experience with counseling children, adolescents, adults, groups, families, and couples.
I view counseling as an opportunity for growth and self-discovery within the context of a safe, supportive, and therapeutic relationship. My philosophical approach to counseling is through Existential Phenomenology. Existential phenomenology is a humanistic approach focusing on the lived experience and the felt-sense. Incorporating more traditional approaches — such as Cognitive/Behavioral psychology — I work collaboratively with you to identify how cognition (i.e., thoughts and beliefs) impacts your feelings and behaviors. Evidenced based practices are also utilized to develop strength based approaches to positive change. I am also trained in mental health assessments, chemical dependency assessments, parenting assessments, and family assessments. These are used as necessary to help better identify your individual and family’s strengths.
As a US Veteran, I have been successful working with active military, reservists and other veterans in accessing military benefits and services. As a husband, and father of 3 children, I draw upon my own experiences to relate with you and your family, as I help you to navigate the various community resources and systems.
Bachelor’s of Arts in Psychology, from University of Washington, Seattle WA
Bachelor’s of Arts in Philosophy, from University of Washington, Seattle WA
My work with my clients is based on respect and safety, and promotes growth to achieve their therapeutic goals. I endeavor to aid my clients by helping them with positive communication skills, conflict resolution, and tools to learn how to identify and change problematic interaction patterns or behaviors. My therapeutic style is encouraging and engaging.As a Marriage and Family Therapy Associate
I work with families, individuals, children, and teens. Specifically, I enjoy working with children and teens who have learning disabilities such as; dyslexia & ADHD. I utilize my experience, along with my education to help my clients with their struggles. My passion is to help children, and teens with learning disabilities reach their goals, while aiding their families by giving them tools and support.
As a therapist with Lakewood Child and Family Counseling, I will support my clients in meeting their goals and finding solutions to achieve successful results. I will maintain a positive, open, and safe therapeutic space for my clients, while building upon their strengths.
My major theoretical orientations are Family Systems Theory such as; structural and intergenerational. As well as, Social Learning Theory, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), and Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TFCBT). These approaches teach that most problems arise from family systems breakdowns, social learning, past traumas, modeling, and reinforcements. Additional, theories used may be narrative therapy, emotion focused therapy, and mindfulness approaches depending on the clients’ needs.
Bachelor of Science, Washington state University (WSU), Washington
I am a male therapist in Lakewood WA, an Licensed Mental Health Counselor regulated by Washington State (LH 60300442). I bring cultural sensitivity to my work with not only African American clients, but those of many various minority cultures. I hold a Master of Education with an emphasis in Counseling Psychology from the University of Puget Sound. I have worked in mental health for over 9 years. My Counseling orientation is Cognitive Behavioral with an integrative approach. My training has included, among other therapeutic orientations, Motivational Interviewing (MI) and Rational-Emotional Behavioral Therapy (REBT).
I enjoy providing Individual Adult Therapy for clients of various cultures around anxiety and depression as well as relationship concerns. I relate well to Teen males in distress or with behavioral concerns as well.
I believe therapy can be helpful for all of us, regardless of our place in life. Choosing to participate in individual counseling or family therapy does not mean ‘you have problems,’ to me it means ‘you want to make a change.’ I truly believe there is no shame in wanting to create a better life for yourself or your family. Choosing to find a counseling center and enter therapy can happen at any point in life: you may simply be dissatisfied with your current situation and need a change, or perhaps want to work on a specific goal or relational goal. Therapy can often be about taking a deeper look at patterns of old behavior a deciding to keep, change, or let it go. I believe it is a true personal honor to be part of your growth and change process.
“A unique approach to fostering hope and healthy relationships”. As a Counselor Lakewood WA, I do my very best to partner with you in your emotional work. To walk with you in the work we do together offering hope along the sometimes lonely and scary path of change. I help to shine a light on something helpful to you. I aim to illuminate what wasn’t seen before and to allow things to be seen differently. It has been said before, that close relationships are what we all need to feel happy, be-well, and thrive in this human existence. I hold this idea as true and am committed to helping you create healthy close relationships for yourself and your family.
We could be working on decreasing depression, anxiety, relational repair & challenges, emotional regulation, giftedness, or improving your general well-being. My Masters education meets all of the educational requirements for a Marriage and Family Therapy license. My professional therapeutic experience includes working with children, teens, couples, individuals, and families.
- The Importance of Experiential Practice when Working With Caregivers, EFFT, by; Mental Health Foundations and Dr. Adele Lafrance
- Emotion-Focused School Support (EFFT in Schools), by; Mental Health Foundations and Dr. Adele Lafrance
- Two Day Clinical Supervision Workshop, by; WMHCA & Dr. Ewe
- Ethics for Mental Health Professionals, by; Fritchman
- Emotion Focused Family Therapy Core Training; by; Mental Health Foundations and Dr. Adele Lafrance
- Emotion Focused Family Therapy Advanced Training; by; Mental Health Foundations and Dr. Adele Lafrance
- Emotion Focused Family Therapy, Identifying and working though problematic parenting patterns; by Mental Health Foundations, Natash Files MSW
- New Directions in Science and Psychotherapy: Leading & Learning with EFT, by; Sue Johnson
- Advancing Psychotherapy via Clinical & Non-Clinical Science, by; Loius Castonguay
- Beyond Breaking Sexual Gridlock: Using EFT to achieve greater relational intimacy, by; Zoya Simakhodskaya & Mike Moran
- Healing Affairs: The Power of EFT, by; Scott R. Woolley & Petra Deji
- Early Life Attachment, Stress, & Caregiving as Predictors of Adult Health: A Longitudinal View, by; Jeff Simpson
- Attachment and Spirituality, by; Sue Johnson, John Townsend & Kenny Sanderfer
- Disconnection & Dislocation: Addiction from a Relational Perspective, by; Gabor Mate’
- Finding Strength in Broken Places: Healing Families with EFT, by; Gail Palmer, Jim Furrow, George Faller & Lisa Palmer-Olsen
- Lost in the Tango: How to find your way through intense & triggered moments, by; Rebecca Jorgensen, Dimitrij Samoilow, Simona Herb & Jens Mebius
- Effective EFT with Highly Reactive Couples, by; Jim Thomas LMFT & George Faller LMFT: Denver, Colorado
- Taming Dragons: Trauma and Escalations (in EFT), by; SeattleTherapyCenter
- Learning to Lean In and Work Effectively with Emotional Withdrawal in EFT, by; Jim Thomas LMFT: Denver, Colorado
- Gaining Traction, Getting to Softenings in Emotion Focused Therapy, by; Jim Thomas & Colorado Center for Emotionally Focused Therapy”
- Clinical Supervision Training, by; Lisa Erickson, MS, LMHC
- NW Regional Conference, WAMFT EFT Sue johnson; Solving the Key challenges of couple therapy with eft
- Understanding the Gut Brain; Stress, Appetite, Digestion, and Mood, by; Institute for Brain Potential & Lisa E. Goehler, PhD
- Suicide Prevention, Treatment & Management, by: Providence Behavioral Health & Deschutes Psychological Association
- Food Cravings, Habits & Emotions, by; Institute For Natural Resources
- Bringing Baby Home Educator Taining, by: The Gottman Institute, Inc.
- Seven Principles (of Making Marriage Work) Program Educator Training, by: The Gottman Institute, Inc.
- Emotion Focused Therapy for Individuals Level Two, by: Leslie Greenberg Ph.D. sponsored by Seattle Therapy Center
- Advanced Core Skills Training in Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy, by: ICEEFT and The Vancouver Couple & Family Institute
- Family Law for the Mental Health Professional, by: The Counseling and Mediation Office of Joseph Shaub
- Emotion Focused Couples Therapy Externship Training, by: ICEEFT and The Vancouver Couple & Family Institute
- Emotion Focused Therapy for Individuals Training, by: Leslie Greenberg, Ph.D. sponsored by Antioch University Seattle
- Navigating Adolescence, by: Good Samaritan Hospital: on teens with ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorders/Asperger’s, and other social-cognitive and executive function difficulties
- Treating Traumatized Children: Trauma Focused- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, by: Harborview Center for Sexual Assault and Traumatic Stress
- WA Sexual Assault Training
- The Art and Science of Love, by: John and Julie Gottman Gottmaninstitute.com
- Somatic Transformations: A Life Span Approach to Chronic Stress and Trauma, by: Sharon A. Stanley, Ph.D. and Stevens Hospital. Somatic-transformations.org
- Through Their Eyes: Domestic Violence and Its Impact on Children, by: YWCA and Safe Havens
- Building Client Self-Efficacy, by: King County Non-Profit Staff Development Coalition
My formal education started with an Associates Degree in Human Services and was followed by a Bachelors of Arts in Psychology and Gerontology, which I received from Nazareth College in Rochester, New York. My Master’s Degree from Bastyr University/LIOS (Leadership Institute of Seattle) in Kenmore, Washington is in Applied Behavioral Science and Systems Counseling. My Masters education meets all of the educational requirements for a Marriage and Family Therapy license.
***”How do I find a Counselor or Therapist that is covered by my insurance plan in WA or in network with my insurance?” Lakewood Child and Family Counseling is a:
First Choice Health Network Therapist Tacoma Lakewood WA, First Choice Counselor Tacoma Lakewood WA, FCHN Therapist Tacoma Lakewood WA, FCHN Counselor Tacoma Lakewood WA
ILWU Therapist Tacoma Lakewood WA, ILWU Counselor Tacoma Lakewood WA, ILWU Counseling Tacoma Lakewood WA, Premera Therapist Tacoma Lakewood WA, Premera Counselor Tacoma Lakewood WA
See our Services tab for more plans or call us to see if we accept your medical Insurance.
Find a Therapist in network with my insurance…
Best Therapist Tacoma Lakewood JBLM WA, Best Counselor Tacoma Lakewood WA.